January 10, 2012
2011 is an UP year for album sales
That’s right! In 2011, music sales took an upward turn for the first time since 2004. But… Don’t get TOO excited just yet! It was only a 1.3% increase but hey, it didnt drop for a change. 2011 was a big year for some big albums and the crown landed on the head of Adele. Take a look at the top 10 albums for 2011 as calculated by sales:
1. Adele, 21: 5.82 million copies sold
2. Michael Bubl?, Christmas: 2.45 million
3. Lady Gaga, Born This Way: 2.10 million
4. Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV: 1.92 million
5. Jason Aldean, My Kinda Party: 1.58 million
6. Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More: 1.42 million
7. Drake, Take Care: 1.25 million
8. Justin Bieber, Under the Mistletoe: 1.25 million
9. Jay-Z & Kanye West, Watch the Throne: 1.23 million
10. Lady Antebellum, Own the Night: 1.20 million
The other big news on 2011 music sales has to do with digital sales. For the first time ever, digital sales have topped physical sales. Digital sales increased by 8.4% while physical sales continued their downward trend with a 5% decrease in 2011.
What kind of music purchaser are you? Or do you just stream music? If you purchase music, do you prefer digital or physical? If you buy physical do you prefer CD or Vinyl?